Ensuring the safe and stable condition of your property, including the plumbing system, is a key part of homeownership. As you may know, the cold winter weather can take a toll on your home’s water pipes, so here are five winter plumbing problems to watch for that may require an emergency plumber in Modesto, CA:
- Pipe leaks: Although leaky pipes are a year round issue, winter weather poses an even greater risk for leaks due to changes in water pressure and pipe condition. Outside the home, a water hose left on with the nozzle turned off can cause pressure buildup that can break a water line inside your home. Meanwhile, inside your house, weakened piping under sinks or in the walls can burst under pressure. Your indoor and outdoor water lines are typically all connected, so don’t ignore a problem, no matter how small it may seem.
- Home flooding: Undoubtedly, pipe leaks are liable to lead to flooding and costly damages, which would be a serious inconvenience during the cold winter months. Most major home flooding happens when homeowners are not home to notice a problem. As a result, water from leaky pipes is free to flow out as long as it wants. Other times, a pipe connected to the plumbing system cracks inside a wall. You may not be aware of a leak until it starts to seep out of the walls, saturating carpets and flooring.
- Clogged pipes: Ask any emergency plumber in Modesto, CA and they will probably tell you that the number one type of frantic call they receive is for a clogged pipe. Clogged pipes are common during and after heavy use—like having guests over for the holidays or other wintertime celebrations. The garbage disposal has had all sorts of food shoved down it and the toilet is in no condition to entertain. In short, a clog will hinder water flow. And when combined with low winter water pressure, this spells a recipe for disaster.
- Malfunctioning water heater: Hot water and cold winter temperatures go hand in hand. But use the hot water too often and your water heater might begin to fail. It could be something as simple as the pilot light on a gas water heater going out, or as problematic as an issue with a water pipe connection. Go easy on your water heater so you can enjoy nice warm showers and bubble baths this winter.
- Frozen pipes: While we don’t tend to see too much of a temperature drop here in Modesto during the winter months, and thus rarely experience frozen pipes, there are areas where it could indeed occur. This is most common out in rural areas, but can even happen in homes that are simply sitting in cold shadows where the sun doesn’t reach. Regardless, it’s a good idea to insulate your pipes to avoid the possibly of pipe freeze or slush that can affect water pressure, which can hinder faucet and toilet use.
This winter, if you find yourself in need of an emergency plumber in Modesto, CA, know that you can turn to Alvarado Pumping Septic Service for help. Contact us for all of your plumbing needs!