When the snow begins to melt and spring arrives, your home’s plumbing may seem to go awry. Leaky pipes and clogged drains are just a few of the issues you may face this spring. This is also a great time to upgrade your home to be more water-efficient. Plumbing services in Modesto, CA can help you avoid plumbing problems this spring. Here are a few tips:
- Check for leaking or rusted pipes: Pipes that leak can cost you a lot of money and might cause major issues later if the pipes burst. They also can severely reduce your water pressure. Contact plumbing services in Modesto, CA to help you replace or fix leaks. Also check for any pipes that are rusting or corroded. Rust should be cleaned and corroded pipes should be replaced immediately.
- Clean sink and tub drains: If your sink or tub is draining slowly and has standing water, the drain may be clogged with debris. Pull the pop-up plug to clean out any debris or hair buildup. You also might want to use a plunger to dislodge major blockages. The sink overflow (the hole near the top of the sink) should also be cleaned out regularly to prevent clogging. Call plumbing services in Modesto, CA for help dislodging or breaking down clogs. After you clean out any debris, use screens to cover drains to collect and remove hair and debris more easily.
- Upgrade appliances to improve efficiency: While the plants are getting green outside, it’s a great time to upgrade to “green” appliances within your home. Update your showerheads to more efficient models to save water. Have plumbing services in Modesto, CA install energy-efficient and low-flow faucets and toilets to cut back on water usage and costs. Insulate pipes that carry hot water to cut back on spending to keep your water heater temperature high. By improving the appliances and pipes, you’ll save money and help the environment by using less water!
- Clean out your gutters: After a long season of falling leaves, your gutters can get clogged very easily and not drain water properly. To avoid a river in your yard—or worse, inside your home—thoroughly clean out leaves and other debris. Cleaning helps maintain proper gutter drainage. Also be sure to clean downspouts and any yard drains.
- Keep your plumbing clean: Maintain general cleanliness of your pipes and plumbing fixtures to keep your system in top shape. Soak showerheads in vinegar to clear mineral buildup and drain a few gallons from your water heater tank to flush out any sediment. To prevent bad odors, pour water down drains that aren’t often used, like basement floor drains. Have plumbing services in Modesto, CA inspect your home for hidden problems to help you save money and hassle down the road.
Spring is a great time to check out your plumbing systems and make sure everything is working like it should. By using some of these tips, you can boost water efficiency in your home and save time and money. Contact Alvarado Pumping Septic Service for plumbing services in Modesto, CA this spring!