Summer is an active time of year that often challenges plumbing and drainage. Plumbers in Modesto, CA are kept busy as summer conditions lead to water disasters. While plumbing issues are often associated with cold climates and burst pipes, summer brings in unique conditions for problems. Here are five common challenges we face during the summer:
- Sewer backup: California is usually dry, but we are not immune to the sudden heavy rain shower. When the excessive water sinks into the ground, it enters sewer lines through cracks and other pipe breaches. This leads to backups that may appear in your basement, septic tank or even the drains throughout your home. Tree roots and land shifts also wreak havoc with sewer lines. The minute you notice sewage coming up through your drains, call us immediately.
- Breached septic tanks: You are not immune to summer plumbing demands with a septic system. If it is designed for your household but additional guests place pressure on your tank, you could face failure—especially if you have not had it pumped out for a while. During warmer temperatures, a septic breach is more serious because the bacteria have a perfect environment to grow. Check your septic system before the hot days and you will avoid this regrettable situation!
- Clogs: Toilets and garbage disposals are frequent victims of clogs during the summer. With disposals, large cookouts and improper disposal of cooking grease are often the blade-killing culprit. This leads to pipe clogs that may reduce draining efficiency and cause backups. Toilets, meanwhile, face increased use as kids bring friends over and your summer guest list fills up. Most toilet clogs are easily fixed with a plunger, but if you have a bad clog and only one bathroom, you need immediate professional assistance!
- Outdoor water issues: Outdoor plumbing also takes a beating, as you are likely filling pools and watering plants. Your hose spigots may be damaged, or exterior pipes may breach. If you have a sprinkler system, it is a godsend during the summer, but lawn mowers damage heads and winter weather may breach pipes. Protect your sprinklers and their hoses by never mowing or driving over them. If you end up damaging your sprinkler system, you will join a crowd of customers who make desperate calls for repairs!
- Washing machine floods: Days spent hiking in warm weather, indulging in water sports or even soaking in the heavily chlorinated water of your swimming pool place demands on your laundering needs. These conditions force your washing machine to manage larger, dirtier loads. Harder work and violent spin cycles can loosen hoses and valves. If you have a corrosion problem with your laundry pipes, it is only a matter of time before your washing machine brings an indoor pool to your home! It is easy to overlook laundry plumbing because it is tucked back and difficult to access. If you have not had anyone look at it for a while, now is a good time.
Call Alvarado Pumping Septic Service if you require pre-summer plumbing or septic care. Our plumbers in Modesto, CA offer general service, too, so we can prevent summer problems today!