We’ve all been there. You go to take a shower or brush your teeth, and you discover that your drain isn’t draining as fast as it used to—or, even worse, not at all. Instead, dirty water begins to fill up your sink or tub.
As a local company that offers plumbing services in Modesto, CA, we know a thing or two about clogged drains. Here are a few things you can do to help keep this problem from happening to you:
- Don’t wait: Most plumbing issues that require calling in a professional to fix your plumbing in Modesto, CA happen because a minor annoyance with your plumbing turned into a serious problem. If you notice that your sink or tub is draining a little slowly, address the problem right away, either by manually cleaning out the drain or using a drain cleaner. This will help keep your drain from becoming completely clogged and avoid mainline blockage.
- Frequently flush your drains: Flushing your drain is quick, simple, doesn’t require any harsh chemicals and is an easy way to prevent clogs. Simply plug your drain and fill your tub or sink with five gallons of water or more, then remove the plug. The high volume of water can often wash away debris that may have begun collecting in your pipes.
- Have strict rules about what can be flushed down the toilet: There are really only two things that should be flushed down a toilet: toilet paper and human waste. Anything else simply shouldn’t be flushed. Flushing sanitary products and things like cotton swabs and other bathroom toiletries, no matter how small, can quickly clog your toilet and wreak havoc on your plumbing.
- Install a lint catcher or drain screen: If you are having issues with lint clogging up your laundry drain, or hair causing clogs in the tub, there are drain screens you can get that will help keep lint and hair from going down the drain and clogging your system.
- Don’t pour grease down the drain: Many people think that letting a little grease here or there go down the drain is not a big deal. The problem is that, over time, those little bits of grease accumulate and can cause a serious clog. A better solution is to collect your grease in a glass jar or metal can to dispose of later—don’t pour grease down the drain.
- Don’t put food down the drain: After grease, the next thing you should never rinse down the drain is food. Unless you have a garbage disposal, allowing food to go down the drain, even small pieces, can cause serious clogs and some bad smells.
Don’t let a clogged drain slow you down. By following these few simple tips, you can avoid the annoyance of frequently clogged drains and help prevent other serious plumbing problems. If you do find that you need help with your plumbing in Modesto, CA, however, be sure to call Alvarado Pumping Septic Service, your local plumbing experts!