Having a malfunctioning toilet can be a major inconvenience, especially if you only have one bathroom in your home. There are some circumstances in which you can resolve toilet problems yourself, but there are some other situations in which you’ll be better off calling in a professional to handle the job, especially if there are going to be major repairs or replacement required.
Here are some examples of circumstances in which you will need to seek out repairs or toilet replacement in Modesto, CA:
- Your toilet frequently clogs: If you have a toilet that’s clogging up more than once a week just with regular use, and you’re absolutely certain this isn’t due to people in your home putting improper items down the toilet, then this could be a sign that the toilet itself is the issue. If there’s not a partial blockage somewhere down deep in your plumbing, then it could be that the parts that manage flushing inside your toilet have simply worn out. This can happen over the course of years of use. At this point, it is probably worthwhile to replace the toilet.
- There’s standing water around your toilet base: Standing water indicates a leak in the toilet, usually around the seal. Generally, if you replace the wax seal at the bottom of the toilet, this will stop the leak. It’s a good idea to make this repair as quickly as possible, as leaking toilets can waste a lot of water in a hurry. Replacing the wax ring is a job you can take on yourself, and you’ll be able to save quite a bit of cash in the process.
- The tank or bowl doesn’t fill after flushing: The toilet tank will not refill if there is a malfunction with the fill valve. This could require you to replace that part. You’ll need to be certain you have the right type of fill valve to fit your toilet tank. While this is a repair you can make yourself, having a plumber handle it will ensure the correct part is used for the repair.
- The toilet is having problems flushing: If the toilet is only flushing a little bit (or not even at all), this is a sign that there’s something wrong with the toilet’s flushing mechanism. You may need to replace some of those parts, which is likely a good job for you to have an experienced plumber take on to ensure it’s done correctly.
- There are cracks in the porcelain: Porcelain cracks can result in leaks around the tank or bowl. This could be a result of impacts from items falling on or against the toilet. Depending on the size of the crack, you may or may not be able to patch it up and keep it watertight. Significant cracks may result in your needing to replace the toilet entirely.
For more information about the various circumstances that will require you to seek out toilet repair in Modesto, CA, contact the team at Alvarado Pumping Septic Service today.