A leaking pipe is one of the biggest headaches a homeowner can deal with. It’s not just a plumbing problem that necessitates repairs from emergency plumbing contractors in Modesto, CA—a leak can also lead to issues with walls, ceilings and flooring, and may result in mold growth.
The scary part is that a leaking pipe can go undetected for weeks or even months at a time unless you know what to look for. Continue reading to learn a few of the leading indicators that you have a leaking pipe:
- Higher water bills: The first place you’ll feel the effects of a leaking pipe is in your wallet. Since water is consistently flowing, your water bill may be higher than expected. Depending on the size of the leak, the bill may get slightly higher each month, or skyrocket suddenly. Fortunately, many water companies will provide a month-by-month usage comparison on your water bills. Double check that info on your bills to ensure everything looks normal.
- Mold and mildew: We mentioned above how a leak can lead to mold development. Mold or mildew growth on walls, baseboards or ceilings is common when leaks go unidentified for long periods. Needless to say, mold is dangerous and nothing to ignore. In addition to calling a plumber to fix the leak, you’ll likely have to hire a mold remediation team to remove all of it.
- Stains or damage: Leaking pipes might not cause mold, but they could lead to stains on ceilings, walls or floors. These stains may start out small, but they’ll continue to grow as water continues to flow from the leaking pipe. Any creaky or warped floorboards should also be investigated, as these are also signs of a leak.
- Musty smells: Stagnant water from a leaking pipe emits an awful aroma that’s hard to ignore. A musty smell in a particular room or area often indicates there’s a leak somewhere nearby. Don’t just buy some air fresheners to mask the odor—hire emergency plumbing contractors in Modesto, CA to find and fix the leak.
- Foundation cracks: Homes settle over time, resulting in hairline cracks in the ceiling or drywall. These are natural and nothing you need to worry about. However, a sudden crack or an existing one that widens could mean there’s a leak. Be sure to call a plumber right away, as a compromised foundation is a serious problem.
- Exterior wet spots: You shouldn’t have any wet spots in your yard unless it’s been raining recently. If you notice any wet soil near your home or see mud during a dry spell, be sure to call a plumber to fix the leak.
Hire our pros right away
Be sure to call our emergency plumbing contractors in Modesto, CA as soon as you notice a sign of a leak. Remember, calling to fix the leak right away can save tons of money and avoid other leak-associated issues. At Alvarado Pumping Septic Service, we’ll work quickly to find the exact source of the leak and stop it before it worsens.